Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses.

"We are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself."
- Virginia Woolf


I am:

Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star.
Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates.
Hates buses and being girly.


E-Mail

Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries
V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



I can't stop listening to:
  • Scouting for Girls - Elvis Ain't Dead
  • Foo Fighters - All My Life
  • The Killers - For Reasons Unknown
  • The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

  • Hairspray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists


  • I am reading:
  • Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins
  • Ian McEwan - Saturday
  • [As an aside do you think if I lived in Borders, they would give me free books?]

    Nik's Event Diary:
  • 28th September - 13th October - Trip to America without the use of a time machine.
  • 5th November - The Fray @ Hammersmith Apollo
  • 1st Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Sheffield Arena
  • 6th Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Wembley Arena

  • Old Me:
  • Confessions of a Bingo Dirtbag
  • Nothing More Than Me

  • I know:
  • About A Burke
  • A Vacant Mind
  • Confessions of a Theatre Snob
  • Distant Aggravation
  • Life of Jembie
  • The wonderful world of babble
  • www.billygean.co.uk

  • I read:
  • Aled Haydn Jones
  • Dooce
  • Little Red Boat
  • JonnyB's private secret diary
  • The Chris Moyles Show blog


  • Random:
  • Chris Cox
  • Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey Team
  • Liverpool FC

    Previous Posts
  • Sunday, February 04, 2007

    "And it's never gonna be the same, 'Cause the years are following by like the rain"

    My life is shaped by music, it's so much a part of me that sometimes I forget just how much. I'm guessing the fact that the fact that my iPod headphones finally gave way the other week after over a year and a half of listening to my iPod for at least a couple of hours a day was probably an indicator.

    Last night I was sat sprawled out on the sofa attempting to watch an episode of Spooks, since I've never actually watched it before, wondering how long I'd actually been sat there and still revelling in the England rugby victory when Ali burst through the door. "Nic this is Lou, Lou this is Nic...this is our lounge, that's the kitchen and that's the conservatory. And that's Mike, not my Mike! Nic, come to Snobs!" "What?" I sit up trying to wake myself up. "Come to Snobs!" Ali yells. "Erm...ok." "Go get dressed quick then!" I run upstairs whilst Ali continues the tour of our house. Five minutes later I am sat in Ali's Mike's car. I like being spontaneous, it's not as spontaneous as the whole 'let's go to London in two hours', but spontaneous nonetheless.

    An hour later and I am stood in Snobs, a beer in each hand, dancing to the songs blasting out of the speakers and laughing at the freaks around me. The opening chords of Mr Brightside eminate around the room.

    "I'm coming out of my cage
    And I've been doing just fine"

    There are so many song that have memories attached to them and for this one I am transported back to a field in Dundee [Fundee, if you will]. Corinne and I are in a tent waiting for the Kooks. Annie Mac is finishing her dj set and the last song she plays is the Killers. The whole tent is jumping around and singing at the tops of their voices. There is beer flying about, Corinne and I are successfully avoiding it and I am happy despite the fact that my finals start in two days.
    The song ends and I am back in Snobs getting pushed by the people trying to get past to nowhere in particular.
    More opening chords. I know that song anywhere.

    Someone said you was asking after me
    But I know you best as a blagger

    Another song with a memory attached. Quite a few to be fair. The first time I saw them play live at an instore in Virgin Megastores. The Kerrang gig that I managed to win tickets for. Or this summer where I spent weeks in a temp job I hated, found boring and the only good thing was that they played Kerrang all day and Kerrang played a lot of Fratellis. It was the summer I spent ages applying for lots of jobs, hoping someone somewhere would employ me. If you hit the rewind button, I might have done things differently but I don't have a flux capacitor.

    All the memories are shaped by music. I think this in itself is an indicator that I really need to book more tickets to gigs for this year...

    "Nobody ever seems to remember life is a game we play"

    Labels: , , ,


    link | posted by Nic at 12:21 PM |


    0 Comments:

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela