Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses.

"We are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself."
- Virginia Woolf


I am:

Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star.
Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates.
Hates buses and being girly.


E-Mail

Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries
V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



I can't stop listening to:
  • Scouting for Girls - Elvis Ain't Dead
  • Foo Fighters - All My Life
  • The Killers - For Reasons Unknown
  • The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

  • Hairspray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists


  • I am reading:
  • Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins
  • Ian McEwan - Saturday
  • [As an aside do you think if I lived in Borders, they would give me free books?]

    Nik's Event Diary:
  • 28th September - 13th October - Trip to America without the use of a time machine.
  • 5th November - The Fray @ Hammersmith Apollo
  • 1st Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Sheffield Arena
  • 6th Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Wembley Arena

  • Old Me:
  • Confessions of a Bingo Dirtbag
  • Nothing More Than Me

  • I know:
  • About A Burke
  • A Vacant Mind
  • Confessions of a Theatre Snob
  • Distant Aggravation
  • Life of Jembie
  • The wonderful world of babble
  • www.billygean.co.uk

  • I read:
  • Aled Haydn Jones
  • Dooce
  • Little Red Boat
  • JonnyB's private secret diary
  • The Chris Moyles Show blog


  • Random:
  • Chris Cox
  • Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey Team
  • Liverpool FC

    Previous Posts
  • Saturday, April 29, 2006

    "In any case life is but a procession of shadows"

    It is the first proper week of revision and I am happy because I can finally get stuck into Will and Ginny properly without a voice in my head asking why I am watching James McAvoy rather than writing a general section on pragmatism and how exactly this links into Mr Henry James*. The last two days I have immersed myself in the novels of Ginny and my bed is strewn with the four library books, various novels, the legend that is Hermione Lee's biography on Woolf and lots of brightly coloured notes. Today I tried to re-read Jacob's Room. I said tried purely because I had to stop to ring Corinne to ask what Byron means in both Jacob's Room and The Waves because I have never studied Byron in my life, and also because I stopped to read the section in Hermione Lee's biography on Ginny's brother Thoby. All this brought the realisation that despite me losing track of time somewhere in the middle of the day and looking at my watch to find that somehow it was an hour later, there is not ever going to be enough time for me to explore Ginny's work properly. There is not enough time for me to read the whole biography, there is not enough time for me to go into as much depth as I would like to with her novels, or even to read more of them and it was a bit of a sad realisation. I actually want to revise, I know that sounds weird but I do, I loved the fact that today I could concentrate on Jacob's Room and try to understand how it was a elegy to Thoby and how it links into the war.

    I'm not sure if it was that realisation or something in the water but Lucy and I have seriously gone mad. I think the best lesson to learn is never leave Lucy and I alone together. We have taken to starting conversations with, "la bibliotheque don la piscine", which later also included "Corinne don la piscine", as well as "mon dieu" before decending into what can only be called 'Joey French'**:
    "Je de flu flee"
    "Je de flee flu"
    "Po"
    "Oh de fluuf"
    Worringly we can continue this for at least five minutes before one of us realises that we were actually going to go do something and walks off.


    *Once I've gotten over the fact that I had to write a dissertation on him and Eliot, I may be able to call him Henry, but not yet. It will take time.
    **Basically direct quoting from Friends: The One Where Joey Speaks French.


    link | posted by Nic at 7:16 PM |


    0 Comments:

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela