Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses.

"We are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself."
- Virginia Woolf


I am:

Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star.
Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates.
Hates buses and being girly.


E-Mail

Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries
V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



I can't stop listening to:
  • Scouting for Girls - Elvis Ain't Dead
  • Foo Fighters - All My Life
  • The Killers - For Reasons Unknown
  • The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

  • Hairspray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists


  • I am reading:
  • Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins
  • Ian McEwan - Saturday
  • [As an aside do you think if I lived in Borders, they would give me free books?]

    Nik's Event Diary:
  • 28th September - 13th October - Trip to America without the use of a time machine.
  • 5th November - The Fray @ Hammersmith Apollo
  • 1st Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Sheffield Arena
  • 6th Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Wembley Arena

  • Old Me:
  • Confessions of a Bingo Dirtbag
  • Nothing More Than Me

  • I know:
  • About A Burke
  • A Vacant Mind
  • Confessions of a Theatre Snob
  • Distant Aggravation
  • Life of Jembie
  • The wonderful world of babble
  • www.billygean.co.uk

  • I read:
  • Aled Haydn Jones
  • Dooce
  • Little Red Boat
  • JonnyB's private secret diary
  • The Chris Moyles Show blog


  • Random:
  • Chris Cox
  • Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey Team
  • Liverpool FC

    Previous Posts
  • Friday, April 28, 2006

    I Predict a Riot

    "Don't blame them for sitting down, they did a very good job on the Mexican wave earlier."

    "I want to hear you all singing the words. It's not that hard - there aren't that many of them."

    "Were Take That in town? If they were, we're cool because we went to the Kaiser Chiefs!"

    "Matchmaking: Kaiser Chief style"

    Many of you are probably wondering how I am managing to blog an event after Corinne but I do have a good excuse since this morning saw me queueing for Grad Ball tickets from some time after half seven, headphones firmly plugged in and radio on phone tuned to Aled show producing the Breakfast Show. So that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it; unfortunately my late blogging means that one of my possible titles has been stolen but in the interests of matching t-shirts, or lack of, I've decided to use it anyway.

    Last summer's revision consisted of Jaffa cakes, Malteasers, numerous cups of coffee and Radio 1. But when I wasn't listening to Radio 1, I either had the Foo Fighters blasting out of the stereo, or the Kaiser Chiefs. It's that time of year again and it almost seems apt that Wednesday night saw Corinne and I back at the NIA, where I confessed that apart from the tennis I had only been one other time and that was on a reccy mission for me and Bec when we were going to see James. As it happens, we gave that up and went to the cricket in Bunbury instead but that is neither here nor there, what remains is that I only half know my way round that area but I want it noted I still got us there and pretty much on time. The time spend demonstrating that we remembered where the bar was, musing on how weird it was to return there and searching for the merchandise stall was, clearly, not my fault. The time spent deliberating over t-shirts and eventually deciding only to be told they didn't have any left was the NIA's fault. And the fact that the seat numbers are written on the floor and in black, which is very hard to see in the dark, is the NIA's fault too. Thankfully though, once Corinne and I had sat down, it became slightly less weird since the floor was full of people as opposed to a large tennis court.

    Having been to our fair share of Battle of the Bands and Bedford gigs, Corinne and I are aware that bands usually play a few songs then introduce themselves. We missed half the first support act so figured that we'd probably missed their introduction, however, it soon became apparent that the second act weren't going to introduce themselves and it wasn't just me being stupid due to getting up at five in the morning. I actually quite liked the set but the end seemed to drag purely because I was waiting for the Kaiser Chiefs to take to the stage. In the gap between the support acts and the main act, we amused ourselves by attempting to prove Nik's Theory of T-Shirts, which was proved true on many occassions, partaking in Mexican waves, which after a few times of getting it to continue round the whole venue, gets a bit boring and attempting to take a good photo of us through holding up the phone and hitting the button without being able to see the screen.

    Eventually the Kaiser Chiefs took to the stage with a huge cheer. And an hour later I looked at my watch and it was half ten with only about half an hour to go - the sign of a good gig, when you are so caught up in the music and jumping around in true rock chick style that an hour seems to go by in five minutes. They fucking rocked, and that really is the only way to describe it; they rocked the whole venue, with the Mexican wave proving that they really did have the audience in the palm of their hands. Plus the lighting was tremendous. I Predict A Riot was amazing leaving me wondering how ANYONE could have sat through it and their new stuff proving that whilst Kirst was saying the other day that they hadn't released a new album whereas most of the bands who released around the time of Employment had or were at least working on it, their new stuff is worth the wait.

    The fact that we couldn't find the Griffin boat and seemed to end up going the long way round back to the station didn't dampen our spirits and upon arriving back in Selly Oak we made our way to KebabLand with Oh My God still ringing in our ears.


    link | posted by Nic at 7:53 PM |


    1 Comments:

    Blogger Corinne commented at 11:06 AM~  

    We are cool.

    And how much do I love the fact that Ricky was watching us do the Mexican wave before the gig?!

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela