
|
Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses. |
|
|
- Virginia Woolf I am: ![]() Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star. Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates. Hates buses and being girly. Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3. I can't stop listening to: I am reading: Nik's Event Diary: Old Me: I know: I read: Random: Previous Posts |
Monday, March 06, 2006 Prove It: "There is no way that's an elephant!"
For those of you who read The Times you may have read the article gracing page 11. This sentence is not meant to sound patronising, I don't read newspapers, except for Redbrick, and I don't even read much of that. It's worrying that as a university finalist I get all my news from Radio 1's Newsbeat. The article I am referring to is about the views of a palaeontologist* who reckons he's 'solved' the riddle of Loch Ness:
"According to Neil Clark, currator of palaeontology at Glasgow University's Hunterian Museum, unexplained sightings of a monster in the loch could, in fact, be of an elephant."What?! I hear you ask. Exactly. Apparently the image from 1972 of the hump and what looks like a neck is actually a circus elephant. "'When the elephants were allowed to swim in the loch, only the trunk and two humps could be seen: the first hump being the top of he head and the second being the back of the animal. The resulting impression would be of an animal with a long neck and two humps - perhaps more if there were more than one elephant in the water.'"Now I'm sorry I know there haven't been many sightings of Nessie but that is not an elephant. I will be the first to admit that Nessie does not look like the picture on a t-shirt I got on a trip to Scotland when I was little of a green Loch Ness monster wearing a tartan hat and scarf but the thing in the loch, if it exists, it is not an elephant. So given my opening sentences, you're probably wondering if I just bought The Times and randomly found the article? Well, erm, no, to put it simply. Edith was discussing it on Radio 1 so I went and bought the paper to read the article. Then I text in to Radio 1 HQ agreeing with Edith that it is not an elephant and thus I have now upped -uped or upped? - my Radio 1 tally since I got a mention, which almost makes up for the fact that GTV missed Edith at the MedBall on Saturday since we didn't know about it. Today has been a day of debate. This morning on the Breakfast Show there was the great star debate, my opinions on one part of which I am refraining from blogging in case I upset people but the other part...only a handful of stars that you see in the sky have burnt out and no longer exist, most of the rest do. That is a fact. *Yes, what Ross does in Friends. Though I thought it was associated with dinosaurs; am I being naive or is Nessie a dinosaur?
link | posted by Nic at 4:37 PM |
0 Comments:Want to Post a Comment? |