Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses.

"We are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself."
- Virginia Woolf


I am:

Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star.
Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates.
Hates buses and being girly.


E-Mail

Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries
V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



I can't stop listening to:
  • Scouting for Girls - Elvis Ain't Dead
  • Foo Fighters - All My Life
  • The Killers - For Reasons Unknown
  • The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

  • Hairspray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists


  • I am reading:
  • Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins
  • Ian McEwan - Saturday
  • [As an aside do you think if I lived in Borders, they would give me free books?]

    Nik's Event Diary:
  • 28th September - 13th October - Trip to America without the use of a time machine.
  • 5th November - The Fray @ Hammersmith Apollo
  • 1st Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Sheffield Arena
  • 6th Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Wembley Arena

  • Old Me:
  • Confessions of a Bingo Dirtbag
  • Nothing More Than Me

  • I know:
  • About A Burke
  • A Vacant Mind
  • Confessions of a Theatre Snob
  • Distant Aggravation
  • Life of Jembie
  • The wonderful world of babble
  • www.billygean.co.uk

  • I read:
  • Aled Haydn Jones
  • Dooce
  • Little Red Boat
  • JonnyB's private secret diary
  • The Chris Moyles Show blog


  • Random:
  • Chris Cox
  • Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey Team
  • Liverpool FC

    Previous Posts
  • Wednesday, March 01, 2006

    Happy St David's Day

    "He's going to think that's another leek!"

    "Do you know how to make leek soup?"
    "Just add water?"

    Today is St David's Day and due to my slight obsession with all things Welsh, I celebrate it, not in the down-the-pub stylee that I celebrate St Patrick's Day but celebrate it nonetheless. Two years ago I found myself on a round the country radio tour road trip that started on St David's Day. We thought it was hilarious to give Griffin leeks, a plan made even more hilarious by the fact that the boy isn't even Welsh. It lead to one of the greatest discoveries Corinne and I have ever made, and one which I'm sure Cat wishes we hadn't, leeks are fantastic for water fights. I'll say it again in case you didn't catch that, leeks are fantastic for water fights. Seriously. Put them under the tap and flick the water. It works. The reason we know it works is because we drowned Cat's kitchen. We also discovered that leeks smell. When you have to carry them, you discover this fact pretty quickly. Not that I carried them, I delegated that job to Corinne: "That's why no one sat next to me on the train!" Oh and Corinne learnt that leek is spelt L-E-E-K and not L-E-A-K, I doubt she will make that mistake again. So our elaborate plan resulted in much hilarity on our part and confusement on the part of Griffin's.
    A year later, we discovered, much to our excitement that Fox had decided to play The Bedford on St David's Day. I probably don't even need to say what our first thought was; hilarity much diminished by the fact that he is actually Welsh. So armed with our leeks, in bottle bags like before, we went to The Bedford. We yelled when we shouldn't have, had a conversation that probably can never be published on post it notes and gave Fox leeks.
    Now it's two years later and the ND are not together giving people leeks. It is weird. Cat and I did plan on sending them to everyone through the post but alas, our busy schedules dismissed that idea. So I had to resort to having leeks for dinner. It's just not the same if they're not in bottle bags with little post it notes on them...


    link | posted by Nic at 11:43 PM |


    3 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous commented at 9:34 AM~  

    Awww, that made me smile, and just a little sad - missed you all today - though I did go round wishing people 'Happy St David's Day' much to their bemusement!

    Blogger Nic commented at 10:52 AM~  

    Ali: "So are we all having leeks because it's St David's Day?"
    Lucy: "Nik is, I was going to have leeks anyway."
    I missed the next part of the conversation but it ended with "Nik should work in marketing." All I did was write Happy St David's Day on our board!

    I missed you all too. I listened to HOTOL and it made me sad.

    Blogger Corinne commented at 7:28 PM~  

    Can I add my awwws?! We really should make St David's Day an ND National Holiday because it really didn't seem right to not be handing out leeks (note the spelling)...

    Al: "it was St David's Day and they all came armed with leeks and said 'happy St David's Day'!"

    Radio Presenter: "Aww, sweet"

    Al: "They're kind of slightly crazy"

    And not a leek joke but it's too much of a classic to miss out:

    James: "I was seeing double"

    Val: "Yes, Double D"

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela