Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses.

"We are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself."
- Virginia Woolf


I am:

Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star.
Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates.
Hates buses and being girly.


E-Mail

Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries
V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



I can't stop listening to:
  • Scouting for Girls - Elvis Ain't Dead
  • Foo Fighters - All My Life
  • The Killers - For Reasons Unknown
  • The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

  • Hairspray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists


  • I am reading:
  • Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins
  • Ian McEwan - Saturday
  • [As an aside do you think if I lived in Borders, they would give me free books?]

    Nik's Event Diary:
  • 28th September - 13th October - Trip to America without the use of a time machine.
  • 5th November - The Fray @ Hammersmith Apollo
  • 1st Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Sheffield Arena
  • 6th Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Wembley Arena

  • Old Me:
  • Confessions of a Bingo Dirtbag
  • Nothing More Than Me

  • I know:
  • About A Burke
  • A Vacant Mind
  • Confessions of a Theatre Snob
  • Distant Aggravation
  • Life of Jembie
  • The wonderful world of babble
  • www.billygean.co.uk

  • I read:
  • Aled Haydn Jones
  • Dooce
  • Little Red Boat
  • JonnyB's private secret diary
  • The Chris Moyles Show blog


  • Random:
  • Chris Cox
  • Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey Team
  • Liverpool FC

    Previous Posts
  • Sunday, February 26, 2006

    "Radio is the theatre of the mind; television is the theatre of the mindless"

    Yesterday I had my first show at Burn fm. Half an hour before I was due to leave my house, Kirst came running in asking if I was listening because they were having technical problems and also whoever was on air was not Aaron, who was supposed to be. Well, as it happens, the reason Aaron* wasn't there was because he was down at the Big Brother auditions, which I found quite amusing.
    When I had my audition, a few weeks ago, I was really nervous but once I started talking into the mike, I was fine. This time I was still a bit nervous but figured the same thing would happen again. And it did. It was really good fun, especially Lucy e-mailing the studio to ask if she could borrow a tea bag, despite the slight issues we had. One of the major ones being that apparently the emergency minidisc kicks in after 10 seconds. Now I wasn't aware that I didn't speak for 10 seconds but apparently I didn't. Cue Kat and I being completely confused as to why the system had a mind of its own and having to ring Aaron to ask. Eventually having rid the studio of the "ghost", I tried to play Pink, which was possibly one of the funniest moments of the whole show since it resulted in the system playing the song really slow. The conclusion from Kat and I was that the ghost didn't like Pink.
    If yesterday taught me anything, it's that there is no way you can script radio and that's part of the fun. You can prepare links** but ultimately, radio is spontaneous. If something goes wrong, unlike television where you have to keep going, in radio it's ok to mention it and make a joke of it.

    *Burn fm station manager
    **Things to say in between songs


    link | posted by Nic at 2:55 PM |


    3 Comments:

    Blogger Corinne commented at 4:08 PM~  

    Congratulations! I was thinking about you when you were on air *rolls eyes*

    And I bow down to the fact that you played - albeit by accident - the emergency tape game!

    Anonymous Anonymous commented at 4:39 PM~  

    Nik is a DJ. It's so exciting.

    Unfortunately, this reminds me of an advert I saw when i was about 14 which reminded me of society's downfall: a male brat doll called Blaine, tagline "Blaine is a DJ."

    Erm can I call you blaine?

    Going mad...

    Blogger Nic commented at 10:14 AM~  

    Corinne: I actually realised that if they ever do let the emergency tape kick in, they'd be in lots of trouble coz they would need to go find it and stop and reset it. Lmao. Ah well, it's still a funny game.

    Gilly: If you want, but it reminds me of David Blaine who is a psycho.

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela