Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses.

"We are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself."
- Virginia Woolf


I am:

Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star.
Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates.
Hates buses and being girly.


E-Mail

Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries
V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



I can't stop listening to:
  • Scouting for Girls - Elvis Ain't Dead
  • Foo Fighters - All My Life
  • The Killers - For Reasons Unknown
  • The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

  • Hairspray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists


  • I am reading:
  • Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins
  • Ian McEwan - Saturday
  • [As an aside do you think if I lived in Borders, they would give me free books?]

    Nik's Event Diary:
  • 28th September - 13th October - Trip to America without the use of a time machine.
  • 5th November - The Fray @ Hammersmith Apollo
  • 1st Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Sheffield Arena
  • 6th Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Wembley Arena

  • Old Me:
  • Confessions of a Bingo Dirtbag
  • Nothing More Than Me

  • I know:
  • About A Burke
  • A Vacant Mind
  • Confessions of a Theatre Snob
  • Distant Aggravation
  • Life of Jembie
  • The wonderful world of babble
  • www.billygean.co.uk

  • I read:
  • Aled Haydn Jones
  • Dooce
  • Little Red Boat
  • JonnyB's private secret diary
  • The Chris Moyles Show blog


  • Random:
  • Chris Cox
  • Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey Team
  • Liverpool FC

    Previous Posts
  • Monday, March 13, 2006

    "How do you freeze a book?"

    Background:
    Last night Kirst, Lucy and I were watching Friends TOW Monica and Richard are friends. It's the one where Joey gets scared reading The Shining and puts the book in the freezer. Later him and Rachel swap books and he reads Little Women. When he gets to the bit where Beth is ill, he gets upset so goes to see Rachel and she puts the book in the freezer for him. Every time I see this episode, I always think I should put books in the freezer if they upset me or scare me but end up wondering what would happen to them if I did.

    Hypothesis:
    Disclaimer: We may remember science experiments from school, but we are not scientists.
    "You can't just put it in the freezer, you have to hypothesize first"
    It will be fine when you put it in and probably throughout the freezing process, but when it comes out, the ice will melt and the book will go soggy. But how soggy? Also, if the drawer gets opened before the book is frozen, it might affect it. So basically if Tariq opens his drawer in the freezer to actually put food in, then it might affect it.

    Method:
    Find a book that you don't mind ruining, in this case Kafka's The Trial - I have two copies of it since The Guardian gave away a free copy and I got it for a laugh even though I intensely dislike the book. Take book from bookshelf and downstairs to kitchen being careful not to get fingerprints all over the book in case oils from your hand affect the experiment. Throw book in freezer. Take photos then shut drawer and freezer. Make note of date and time. Leave for a couple of days then analyse results. Possibly follow this by experimenting with books of different sizes.


    link | posted by Nic at 9:12 AM |


    2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous commented at 12:46 PM~  

    hmm, won't it only get soggy when it defrosts if there is ice on it? so where does the ice come from? was the book wet when you froze it? or do you hypothesise that there is a certain amount of water held within the paper? there must be I suppose, else the pages would be crisp, like that nasty cheap loo roll you used to find in public toilets. also, will the proximety of the frozen peas in the pic contaminate the test subject? how about sealing the book in an airtight bag to ensure the appropriate laboratory conditions for the experiment?

    Blogger Nic commented at 7:31 PM~  

    good point about the ice, i don't know. i guess there must be at least some water in the pages.
    as for the peas, well i guess we'll have to conduct another experiment with an empty drawer and tell tariq he's not allowed to store food in his drawer ;)

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela