Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses.

"We are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself."
- Virginia Woolf


I am:

Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star.
Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates.
Hates buses and being girly.


E-Mail

Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries
V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



I can't stop listening to:
  • Scouting for Girls - Elvis Ain't Dead
  • Foo Fighters - All My Life
  • The Killers - For Reasons Unknown
  • The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

  • Hairspray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists


  • I am reading:
  • Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins
  • Ian McEwan - Saturday
  • [As an aside do you think if I lived in Borders, they would give me free books?]

    Nik's Event Diary:
  • 28th September - 13th October - Trip to America without the use of a time machine.
  • 5th November - The Fray @ Hammersmith Apollo
  • 1st Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Sheffield Arena
  • 6th Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Wembley Arena

  • Old Me:
  • Confessions of a Bingo Dirtbag
  • Nothing More Than Me

  • I know:
  • About A Burke
  • A Vacant Mind
  • Confessions of a Theatre Snob
  • Distant Aggravation
  • Life of Jembie
  • The wonderful world of babble
  • www.billygean.co.uk

  • I read:
  • Aled Haydn Jones
  • Dooce
  • Little Red Boat
  • JonnyB's private secret diary
  • The Chris Moyles Show blog


  • Random:
  • Chris Cox
  • Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey Team
  • Liverpool FC

    Previous Posts
  • Thursday, April 06, 2006

    In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights, in cups of coffee, in inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife

    Rent has always been one of those musicals on my 'to see' list. Last summer I had a long conversation with Gumby about theatre and musicals, and the fact that she'd been to the Birmingham Hippodrome, which since she lives in Cranston, Rhode Island was only slightly spooky. Rent is one of her favourite musicals and Lemmy said she loved it too. Since it's not on in the West End, I wasn't going to miss seeing it on Broadway so I booked my [half price] ticket and went along arriving in jeans and a t-shirt carrying a Toys R Us bag and acutely aware of the fact that if Corinne and Val had been there I probably would have been banned from the theatre, taken a safe distance away and shot*. It was an amazing experience, I was completely lost in the storyline, the songs and the emotion. I felt the character's pain and it showed in the tears that streamed down my face. I loved it and couldn't wait for their movie adaptation to be released. I love theatre and I wanted to see if that emotion could be portrayed just as well on the big screen, if I would feel as much for the characters as I did when their lives were being played out in front of me on the stage. That was last summer. Rent was released in America in November and by the time Lemmy came to visit in January, she'd seen it three times. It is being released over here tomorrow** and my local cinema is so inept they apparently don't even think it worth showing since it is not appearing on their listings for next week AT ALL. I am decidedly unimpressed.


    *In my defence, I dressed up when I went to see Movin' Out on Broadway. I might also have dressed up when I saw Dirty Rotten Scoundrels too, I can't remember.
    **Don't get me started on the five month gap! Corinne says it might be because it's very American and it might not appeal as much over here.


    link | posted by Nic at 4:37 PM |


    2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous commented at 4:04 PM~  

    The film of Rent opens at my local cinema today - the press haven't even bothered to review it, preferring to concentrate on Ant and Dec, so I might have missed it if it hadn't been for your blog!

    Blogger Nic commented at 4:46 PM~  

    The Ant and Dec movie's getting quite good write-ups, and I do love them, but still no reason not to review Rent *rolls eyes* Glad to be of assistance, lol.

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela