
|
Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses. |
|
|
- Virginia Woolf I am: ![]() Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star. Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates. Hates buses and being girly. Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3. I can't stop listening to: I am reading: Nik's Event Diary: Old Me: I know: I read: Random: Previous Posts
|
Sunday, April 02, 2006 Row row row your boat "Eeek the water looks horrid! And the Oxford team is cute, lol. x"Yep, it's that time of year, the time of year that spells unmitigated terror for Corinne and pure excitement on my part. It's the 152nd Boat Race. Having missed the build up yesterday I had to stop everything and watch the build up today. For the past two days I have told people that I can't do anything between half three and half five because I have to watch the boat race and all of two people have asked me why. Well, erm, because i) Corinne went to Oxford and ii) it's a sporting event, and given that I watch most sporting events except any golf or curling [boring] and motor racing [probably could get into it if I watched it with Ali], I am going to watch it, even if it clashes with JK & Joel's return to the Chart Show after a two week break. The teams looked relatively even but Cambridge, with a better technique, were the favourites and their team housed five of the losing rowers from last year determined not to repeat last year's events compared to Oxford's one from last year's win, which happened to be Barney Williams the President and Canadian Olympic oarsman. This kind of evened itself out since the Cambridge coach had no experience of the boat race, but since most of the rowers on both teams have either been in the Olympics or World Championships, experience isn't everything. One major problem, however, was the weather conditions which deemed the water very rough with a slight chance of Cambridge sinking. Considering Cambridge should have had the advantage at the start since they had the outside station, they didn't take it and Oxford got off to an explosive start. Consequently when it came to after Hammersmith Bridge, Oxford were ready to take their advantage of the inside station forcing Cambridge into the rough water and later to fall in behind Oxford in search of flatter water. Cambridge didn't have a pump on their boat, which meant that the water they picked up in the rough water remained in their boat making it heavier and even harder to catch up Oxford. By the Bandstand on the approach to Barnes Bridge, Oxford had established a lead of more than two lengths due to Cambridge struggling with water in their boat, which Cambridge were never going to catch up. Congratulations Oxford! A well deserved win. "Just watching the boat race, too bad dude. Why didn't they have a pump on their boat, those conditions were awful."
link | posted by Nic at 4:33 PM |
0 Comments:Want to Post a Comment? |