
|
Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses. |
|
|
- Virginia Woolf I am: ![]() Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star. Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates. Hates buses and being girly. Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3. I can't stop listening to: I am reading: Nik's Event Diary: Old Me: I know: I read: Random: Previous Posts
|
Saturday, January 21, 2006 "We love you Vernon, we do"
On Thursday night Vernon Kay came to our Guild. As usual, we were planning on doing our running-around-and-finding-the-room thing to get an interview and the security people were their usual helpful selves with no one having any idea of the time of his arrival. I was collapsed on one of the beanbags in GTV when Kirst came running in saying that Vernon had just arrived so we grabbed a camera and ran to attempt to find everyone else. After checking every possible room, we went back on ourselves and checked the only room we hadn't and proceeded to wait outside. There comes a point when it is pointless to say that we're from the Media Centre of Birmingham Uni, the amount of cameras and microphones render it inane to actually ask for an interview; just knocking on the door seems to be enough. After a short while, the door opened and we were allowed in. before anyone asks, yes he is really tall; everyone who I talk to seems to ask that question first. Since I had grabbed the camera from GTV, I was filming it all, which meant I got to look directly at Vernon for the duration of the interview, especially since he asked Sophie from Redbrick to move so she was behind me whilst asking questions - at this point, I should probably add that he is a lot cuter in real life than on tv - though since we had been running about the microphone wire was rather tangled so he stood untangling it thus proving his professionalism, especially when I asked Tash if it was switched on and he checked and answered. It was a really good interview and he was really sweet and we even got a big group photo, which randomly ended up with us all in height order and Vernon in the middle. We then set about trying to set up our camera and tripod among the crowd in the Underground, a task harder than it sounds. We'd already managed to get Ellie and a camera on stage but to place a tripod in a crowd is possibly quite insane since drunk people don't look where they are going and the chances of them kicking or tripping over the tripod are greatly increased despite us standing around it. Despite this, we got some really good shots before a security man decided to stand on stage and completely block our shot of Vernon. After assertaining that he wasn't allowed to move, yet clearly wasn't too bothered about his job since he partook in taking pictures for anyone in the front row who gave him a camera, we moved to the other side of the venue. Since we were near a wall, only one leg of the tripod needed to be guarded, and that job fell to me since the tripod wasn't particularly stable anyway. When I left the venue I looked at my Converses - one was very much dirtier than the other and will now serve as a testament to exactly how many people tripped over and/or stood on my foot. Vernon's set was really good, he played good music and was highly entertaining to watch since he animatedly sung along to most of the songs he played. The place was packed, unlike the rather unorganised [on the Uni's part] gig that Sara Cox played before Christmas and Vernon said it was a great gig. He even said on radio this morning that he wanted to come back!
link | posted by Nic at 5:24 PM |
0 Comments:Want to Post a Comment? |