Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses.

"We are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself."
- Virginia Woolf


I am:

Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star.
Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates.
Hates buses and being girly.


E-Mail

Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries
V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



I can't stop listening to:
  • Scouting for Girls - Elvis Ain't Dead
  • Foo Fighters - All My Life
  • The Killers - For Reasons Unknown
  • The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

  • Hairspray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists


  • I am reading:
  • Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins
  • Ian McEwan - Saturday
  • [As an aside do you think if I lived in Borders, they would give me free books?]

    Nik's Event Diary:
  • 28th September - 13th October - Trip to America without the use of a time machine.
  • 5th November - The Fray @ Hammersmith Apollo
  • 1st Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Sheffield Arena
  • 6th Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Wembley Arena

  • Old Me:
  • Confessions of a Bingo Dirtbag
  • Nothing More Than Me

  • I know:
  • About A Burke
  • A Vacant Mind
  • Confessions of a Theatre Snob
  • Distant Aggravation
  • Life of Jembie
  • The wonderful world of babble
  • www.billygean.co.uk

  • I read:
  • Aled Haydn Jones
  • Dooce
  • Little Red Boat
  • JonnyB's private secret diary
  • The Chris Moyles Show blog


  • Random:
  • Chris Cox
  • Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey Team
  • Liverpool FC

    Previous Posts
  • Tuesday, November 29, 2005

    "The course of true love never did run smooth" - MND

    The BBC's adaptations of Will's plays culminated in A Midsummer Night's Dream last night. Having given up a trip to the pub in order to stay in and watch it, I was very interested in how they would approach it. I'm not entirely sure setting it in a holiday park worked too well but then I can't think of where they could have set it since the whole idea of a forest is pretty well associated with MND. They seemed to embellish things and skate over others. Inventing the whole idea of Theo [Theseus] and Polly [Hipolyta]'s marriage being in crisis paralleled quite well with Oberon and Titania's ongoing fight throughout. At least they changed what they were fighting about and I think it worked quite well; I've never been to keen on Will's reason on why they were fighting, especially after seeing the, quite frankly, scary doll at the RSC production. At one point though I did think they weren't going to have Helena and James Demetrius together by the end and was about ready to start yelling at the BBC but it was all ok in the end. It was a proper happy ending. I do think they could have explored the character of Bottom a bit more though, he's supposed to be quite arrogant and not be at all puzzled about why the beautiful Queen of the Fairies would fall in love with him. They could have maybe had him boasting that he could do the magic tricks, singing and everything else rather than just his impressions. The mechanicals are supposed to be funny but I didn't find them that funny in light of everything; one of the reasons probably being that I don't actually like Johnny Vegas. As for Puck, he worked relatively well. There are lots of different ways to play Puck, the RSC production played him quite sinister and the 1999 Michael Hoffman production plays him as quite mischievous, so how it's played really depends on the general approach of the production.


    link | posted by Nic at 11:30 AM |


    1 Comments:

    Blogger Jen commented at 12:20 AM~  

    I really loved it. I have never seen or read the play myself so it was all new to me. I loved Puck though and found him strangely attractive......

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela