Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses.

"We are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself."
- Virginia Woolf


I am:

Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star.
Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates.
Hates buses and being girly.


E-Mail

Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries
V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



I can't stop listening to:
  • Scouting for Girls - Elvis Ain't Dead
  • Foo Fighters - All My Life
  • The Killers - For Reasons Unknown
  • The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

  • Hairspray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists


  • I am reading:
  • Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins
  • Ian McEwan - Saturday
  • [As an aside do you think if I lived in Borders, they would give me free books?]

    Nik's Event Diary:
  • 28th September - 13th October - Trip to America without the use of a time machine.
  • 5th November - The Fray @ Hammersmith Apollo
  • 1st Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Sheffield Arena
  • 6th Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Wembley Arena

  • Old Me:
  • Confessions of a Bingo Dirtbag
  • Nothing More Than Me

  • I know:
  • About A Burke
  • A Vacant Mind
  • Confessions of a Theatre Snob
  • Distant Aggravation
  • Life of Jembie
  • The wonderful world of babble
  • www.billygean.co.uk

  • I read:
  • Aled Haydn Jones
  • Dooce
  • Little Red Boat
  • JonnyB's private secret diary
  • The Chris Moyles Show blog


  • Random:
  • Chris Cox
  • Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey Team
  • Liverpool FC

    Previous Posts
  • Saturday, April 07, 2007

    Broken Dreams and Sympathetic Handshakes

    "Cambridge won the 153rd Boat Race, sponsored by Xchanging, today by one and a quarter lengths in a time of 17:49 and in fair, sunny conditions. Experts had predicted a bigger margin for the crew with five returning Blues and two world champions on board. Oxford, though, started well and held off the Light Blues for the early part of the Race. Cambridge recovered, got into their rhythm and were a length ahead by Barnes Bridge. Cambridge now lead the overall series by 79-73 (with one dead heat since 1829) and their win today prevented Oxford, winners in 2005 and 2006, from registering a hat-trick."

    So as I sat there on my sofa yelling Oxford on, whilst simultaneously trying to text Corinne commentary updates, I believed they would win. They were the underdogs. Again. But they didn't think they were; they had the belief. I went to a lecture at Oxford once - it was on Woolf. This in itself makes me an Honourary Oxford Person. It means I know my way round Oxford, I know that you are not allowed to wear your mortarboard until you graduate but that it is good for keeping pens in and it means that when talking about the Oxford Boat Race team I can affectionately refer to them as 'we'. We lost. In the Boat Race there is no second place. And as I sat on my sofa watching Tom James lift the trophy, I had tears in my eyes.

    Bring on next year.


    Labels: ,


    link | posted by Nic at 6:28 PM |


    1 Comments:

    Blogger Corinne commented at 12:02 PM~  

    As I once said before - better than Sky Sports News. Your texts (and maybe my reactions to them in retrospect) entertained FoH for a good twenty minutes.

    And for the almost tears I think that proves you're an Oxonian.

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela