Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses.

"We are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself."
- Virginia Woolf


I am:

Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star.
Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates.
Hates buses and being girly.


E-Mail

Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries
V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



I can't stop listening to:
  • Scouting for Girls - Elvis Ain't Dead
  • Foo Fighters - All My Life
  • The Killers - For Reasons Unknown
  • The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

  • Hairspray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists


  • I am reading:
  • Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins
  • Ian McEwan - Saturday
  • [As an aside do you think if I lived in Borders, they would give me free books?]

    Nik's Event Diary:
  • 28th September - 13th October - Trip to America without the use of a time machine.
  • 5th November - The Fray @ Hammersmith Apollo
  • 1st Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Sheffield Arena
  • 6th Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Wembley Arena

  • Old Me:
  • Confessions of a Bingo Dirtbag
  • Nothing More Than Me

  • I know:
  • About A Burke
  • A Vacant Mind
  • Confessions of a Theatre Snob
  • Distant Aggravation
  • Life of Jembie
  • The wonderful world of babble
  • www.billygean.co.uk

  • I read:
  • Aled Haydn Jones
  • Dooce
  • Little Red Boat
  • JonnyB's private secret diary
  • The Chris Moyles Show blog


  • Random:
  • Chris Cox
  • Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey Team
  • Liverpool FC

    Previous Posts
  • Sunday, October 01, 2006

    "It glitters and it fades away, like silver turning grey"

    Yesterday I found myself in Nottingham for the Nottingham Panthers versus the Cardiff Devils. That's ice hockey by the way. Probably because I am still bitter about the fact that they didn't show nearly enough ice hockey on terrestrial tv during the Winter Olympics so clearly I am trying to make up for it now.

    My brother and I made our way to Nottingham Ice Arena. And when I say Ice Arena, I mean it's just Nottingham Arena but with ice. Now, I've been to Nottingham a couple of times before. Once was a drunken trip to the cinema complete with shots, sitting on bars and Cat losing any memory of the second half. The other, well, the other put me off anyone who shops at FarmFoods forever. It left half the ND close to pnemonia and erm, resulted in us getting kicked out of the Arena. Later Corinne told anyone listening to national Radio FiveLive that it was because we didn't have a ticket. This is true. But the whole story that goes with it is so much funnier than just saying, "we didn't have a ticket." Even if Cat was pissed off for about two minutes. Anyway I digress. I was back at the Arena.

    When we'd found our seats we realised we were about three rows from the ice. Something which I thought was quite cool until my brother pointed out that the risk of us getting hit by the puck, a la Friends, was greater from where we were sat.


    Tis true. We settled in to watch them prepare the ice, and then the teams emerged. And at that point I realised I was about three seats-ish away from the Devils bench. A fact I decided would lead to me analysing if there were indeed any hot Welsh ice hockey players. Ice hockey is split into three periods of twenty minutes each and they went by so fast; I was transfixed trying to keep my eye on the puck flying round the ice. There were a few incidents where the puck flew into the glass of our stand, one actually hitting the glass diagonally [and two rows down] from where we were sitting. There were also a couple of fights, one which was quite amusing and resulted in pads flying over the ice and obviously, two penalties.

    Nottingham Panthers played well, especially Evan Lindsay who made some fantastic saves to ensure they beat the Devils 4-2. At the start of the match I decided I would start supporting the Panthers because as much as I love Cardiff, well Nottingham is closer. They went into the match second in the league with Cardiff third, but this win and the fact that Belfast Giants [who had been top] lost means that now Nottingham are top of the league. Up the Panthers!*


    Brief Match Report


    *Also, up the Reds...just don't mention Bolton.


    link | posted by Nic at 8:45 PM |


    0 Comments:

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela