Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses.

"We are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself."
- Virginia Woolf


I am:

Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star.
Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates.
Hates buses and being girly.


E-Mail

Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries
V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



I can't stop listening to:
  • Scouting for Girls - Elvis Ain't Dead
  • Foo Fighters - All My Life
  • The Killers - For Reasons Unknown
  • The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

  • Hairspray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists


  • I am reading:
  • Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins
  • Ian McEwan - Saturday
  • [As an aside do you think if I lived in Borders, they would give me free books?]

    Nik's Event Diary:
  • 28th September - 13th October - Trip to America without the use of a time machine.
  • 5th November - The Fray @ Hammersmith Apollo
  • 1st Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Sheffield Arena
  • 6th Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Wembley Arena

  • Old Me:
  • Confessions of a Bingo Dirtbag
  • Nothing More Than Me

  • I know:
  • About A Burke
  • A Vacant Mind
  • Confessions of a Theatre Snob
  • Distant Aggravation
  • Life of Jembie
  • The wonderful world of babble
  • www.billygean.co.uk

  • I read:
  • Aled Haydn Jones
  • Dooce
  • Little Red Boat
  • JonnyB's private secret diary
  • The Chris Moyles Show blog


  • Random:
  • Chris Cox
  • Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey Team
  • Liverpool FC

    Previous Posts
  • Monday, September 25, 2006

    "Can you hear me smiling when I sing this song"

    On Friday night, Kirst and I found ourselves at the Academy to watch the All America Rejects kick off their UK tour. We'd discovered that the tickets said six o'clock on them but since I don't get back from work til about then, we were never going to get there then. Hence lots of confusion on our eventual arrival over how many support acts there were, had we missed them all, or just the first one? And then I realised, in a moment reminiscent of the Kanye West incident that I didn't know what exactly the All American Rejects looked like; they were clearly not going to have a huge entourage on stage, not on stage anyway and as far as I know, they're not black - the two factors that allowed us to make an educated guess during that incident that it was Kanye West. So, when a band came on stage after a bit of waiting, we were confused for about five minutes trying to work out if it was All America Rejects or not. It wasn't. And whoever the hell that support band was, little tip, NEVER start a set with the audio from the tunnel bit in the first Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. I stood there with my hands over my ears, I can't even watch it in the movie, I fast forward it. I don't know what the support band were called because they were American and didn't announciate properly into the mic.

    Then All American Rejects came on stage. They opened with Dirty Little Secret and their whole set was really good. Though if you had been playing a drinking game and downing a shot every time Tyson Ritter swore, then you'd be on the floor after about fifteen to twenty minutes... It was amusing. Plus the bloke is bloody random too.
    "How many of y'all are still thirsty? Of course you are, we threw out like ten water bottles...share it around!"
    Then ended with an encore of Move Along. A couple of weeks ago I was listening to Jo Whiley's Changing Track and someone had chosen Move Along. I admit to never having actually listened properly to the lyrics, or thought about it in that way. About a week later someone told me they cried for two days when they got back from camp, and that song helped them through. So as I stood there, in the Academy, feet firmly planted on the stupidly sticky floor, I didn't know if I wanted to cry, to let the tears fall, or to sing the song so loud, til I was hoarse. I opted for the later and as I yelled the words, with the people around me yelling them, probably just as loud, I knew everything was going to be ok. It would probably take a while, but eventually, everything will be ok.
    "When all you got to keep is strong
    Move along, move along like I know you do
    And even when your hope is gone
    Move along, move along just to make it through
    Move along"


    link | posted by Nic at 6:33 PM |


    0 Comments:

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela