Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses.

"We are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself."
- Virginia Woolf


I am:

Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star.
Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates.
Hates buses and being girly.


E-Mail

Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries
V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



I can't stop listening to:
  • Scouting for Girls - Elvis Ain't Dead
  • Foo Fighters - All My Life
  • The Killers - For Reasons Unknown
  • The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

  • Hairspray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists


  • I am reading:
  • Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins
  • Ian McEwan - Saturday
  • [As an aside do you think if I lived in Borders, they would give me free books?]

    Nik's Event Diary:
  • 28th September - 13th October - Trip to America without the use of a time machine.
  • 5th November - The Fray @ Hammersmith Apollo
  • 1st Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Sheffield Arena
  • 6th Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Wembley Arena

  • Old Me:
  • Confessions of a Bingo Dirtbag
  • Nothing More Than Me

  • I know:
  • About A Burke
  • A Vacant Mind
  • Confessions of a Theatre Snob
  • Distant Aggravation
  • Life of Jembie
  • The wonderful world of babble
  • www.billygean.co.uk

  • I read:
  • Aled Haydn Jones
  • Dooce
  • Little Red Boat
  • JonnyB's private secret diary
  • The Chris Moyles Show blog


  • Random:
  • Chris Cox
  • Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey Team
  • Liverpool FC

    Previous Posts
  • Sunday, September 03, 2006

    "I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks."

    The other day Ali and I stood in my room and had a heated discussion about discrimination. It stemmed from issues with application forms, the fact that earlier I had wandered down to Ali's dj workshop that she'd organised for the young people and also the fact that we are currently considering becoming Community Support Officers. If they'll have us.

    Later that night I shut myself in my room, curled up on my bed and resolved to finished reading To Kill A Mockingbird. Since I finished my degree I have been trying to read all the 'classics' that I didn't get a chance to read during those three years when we were made to read Paradise Lost in a summer. I didn't, and then I wrote on it in the exam, but that's irrelevant. I love that I can read whatever I want. There's no one standing over my shoulder saying, 'You'd better hurry up and read that because your seminar is on Thursday.' Ok no one ever did, but the voices in my head said it. Though I do still have the ability to read a book to prove a point. In Sixth Form, my English teacher found me sitting on the picnic table in the playground during a free period and remarked that I should be reading the set text. I informed him that I would have it read by Monday, a 700 page book read three days later. So I did and proved my point. Then Corinne said last summer that she would give me a chocolate bar if I read The Waves. Less that a year later, I read it for one of my modules, fell in love with it, and Corinne still owes me a chocolate bar.
    A couple of weeks ago I mentioned I wanted to read To Kill A Mockingbird and Kirst brought her copy up from home. I was halfway through it and decided I wanted to finish it this weekend. And as lay in my bed, the duvet wrapped around me and tears falling from my eyes as I frantically tried to read the pages in a desperate hope that what I'd just read was some kind of joke and that it really was going to be ok, I fell in love with literature all over again. Just like I had when I'd read In Cold Blood two weeks ago and just like I did when I did my Virginia Woolf module. And then as if to prove this love, I spent twenty three quid on Amazon.


    link | posted by Nic at 10:14 PM |


    2 Comments:

    Blogger Corinne commented at 11:25 AM~  

    Crikey, I forgot that I owe you chocolate...

    Blogger Culinali commented at 8:59 PM~  

    it's not just love, it's obsession, but we'll skip past that because it's a very good obsession to have...now back to my Poldark novels (book 4 out of 12!!!)

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela