Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses.

"We are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself."
- Virginia Woolf


I am:

Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star.
Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates.
Hates buses and being girly.


E-Mail

Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries
V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



I can't stop listening to:
  • Scouting for Girls - Elvis Ain't Dead
  • Foo Fighters - All My Life
  • The Killers - For Reasons Unknown
  • The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

  • Hairspray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists


  • I am reading:
  • Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins
  • Ian McEwan - Saturday
  • [As an aside do you think if I lived in Borders, they would give me free books?]

    Nik's Event Diary:
  • 28th September - 13th October - Trip to America without the use of a time machine.
  • 5th November - The Fray @ Hammersmith Apollo
  • 1st Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Sheffield Arena
  • 6th Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Wembley Arena

  • Old Me:
  • Confessions of a Bingo Dirtbag
  • Nothing More Than Me

  • I know:
  • About A Burke
  • A Vacant Mind
  • Confessions of a Theatre Snob
  • Distant Aggravation
  • Life of Jembie
  • The wonderful world of babble
  • www.billygean.co.uk

  • I read:
  • Aled Haydn Jones
  • Dooce
  • Little Red Boat
  • JonnyB's private secret diary
  • The Chris Moyles Show blog


  • Random:
  • Chris Cox
  • Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey Team
  • Liverpool FC

    Previous Posts
  • Tuesday, August 29, 2006

    "You might laugh, you might frown, walking round London town"

    "The sun is in the sky, oh why oh why would I wanna be anywhere else?"
    This weekend I found myself at home for the Bank Holiday weekend, to see my cousins, get some nice home cooked meals and to see how far they are getting with that damn stadium.

    On Sunday I wandering though town, inadvertently walking past the bar where a certain someone picks up housemates, and the sun was shining. And in those moments I remembered how much I love London. I love big cities anyway, put me down in the middle of NYC or Chicago and I will walk down 5th Avenue or up the Millenium Mile and I will be perfectly happy, occasionally stopping to appreciate the fact that I am actually there. Put me down in the middle of London and I feel at home, I still can't direct the tourists round and I still get highly irritated by the morons who walk slowly or don't walk at all down Oxford Street but I can still zig zag round them, and show remarkable control by not kicking the two men who stop directly in front of me so that I practically walk into them. Oh how I love that city, it's my city, it's my city like Birmingham never could be. I think Birmingham is my adopted city that I possibly make do with when I'm not in London. I occasionally stop to appreciate Victoria Square or Centenary Square and I would love a job that meant I got to wander through the city every day, but despite being the second biggest city, it's just not London. When I was little I used to go into town to see my dad at work, even when he worked opposite The Ritz and he told us about five times how they had filmed Notting Hill there and then took us all to see it to see if he could see his office; all these trips resulted in visits to the Disney Store that saw us going home on the tube clutching our purchases and with the lights on the train going off at least once. My dad doesn't work in London anymore. I don't go into London that often either considering it takes half an hour to be in the centre of town. A fact probably proven when I tell you that I've know Lucy for three years and we've not once met up in London when we've both been at home; that includes all the month long holidays we got during uni.


    Finally we somehow managed it. We went into Pret, found a proper handbag dog and drank hot chocolate and mocha. And then we took about five tries to get a picture of both of us to prove we'd met up in London; one of these attempts involved Lucy not looking at the camera in order to not look confused, I'm still not entirely sure why she thought that was a good idea.


    And then we wandered down Oxford Street in search of one of those 'My friend went to London and all I got was this lousy t-shirt' t-shirts, requested by Ali. I so need one of those I heart London t-shirts. It can match my I heart NY one.


    link | posted by Nic at 11:09 AM |


    3 Comments:

    Blogger Corinne commented at 2:38 PM~  

    I'm so excited that you found the bar ;-)

    Blogger Culinali commented at 9:57 PM~  

    I love my T-shirt, and I got nic something from Edinburgh too. We had a very exciting reunited moment when I got back swapping tacky presents.

    Blogger Nic commented at 9:58 PM~  

    you did! i love it :) we should go away more often! lol.

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela