
|
Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses. |
|
|
- Virginia Woolf I am: ![]() Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star. Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates. Hates buses and being girly. Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3. I can't stop listening to: I am reading: Nik's Event Diary: Old Me: I know: I read: Random: Previous Posts
|
Wednesday, July 26, 2006 "What's in a name?"
I've never liked my name. My dad always told me that it was chosen so it couldn't be shortened, which doesn't make any sense. I've always shortened it, and everyone has always called me a variation of Nic. Even my mum and brother do now, but my dad still refuses. Surprisingly I have only ever had two instances in my life where some idiot who thought they were smart has quoted "Nicole, papa" at me. And no this is not your cue to do it. I have had more instances than I could count where people have got my name wrong and called me Nicola. Mostly I can never be bothered to correct them, it annoys me beyond measure but I just can't be bothered. The ex-housemate who doesn't speak from second year thought my name was Nicola. I think people just figure that if your name is shortened to Nic, then your full name must be Nicola. Or they are inept and can't read, like at my graduation the other week when they said my name wrong. It was all I could do to not yell at the bloke on the stage. Even my dad wanted to yell at him.
I supposed at this point I should also admit I'm fickle when it comes to liking things. I once went trainer shopping with my mum, after a while I was so fed up that I just said yes to the next pair she pointed at and didn't wear them for ages. Eventually I wore them to the Hippodrome, Fox said he liked them and after that I wore them all the time until they died. So now, twenty one years later I've found one reason to like my name. It's Carrie's middle name. See, I told you I'm fickle.
link | posted by Nic at 11:37 AM |
0 Comments:Want to Post a Comment? |