Because everyone needs a blog, apparently. Personally I think everyone needs a pair of Converses.

"We are the words; we are the music; we are the thing itself."
- Virginia Woolf


I am:

Nic, 22, English graduate and wannabe rock star.
Loves Starbucks, dinosaurs, penguins, guitars and pirates.
Hates buses and being girly.


E-Mail

Radio 1's Big Weekend blog entries
V Festival: Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.



I can't stop listening to:
  • Scouting for Girls - Elvis Ain't Dead
  • Foo Fighters - All My Life
  • The Killers - For Reasons Unknown
  • The Wombats - Let's Dance to Joy Division

  • Hairspray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Various Artists


  • I am reading:
  • Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins
  • Ian McEwan - Saturday
  • [As an aside do you think if I lived in Borders, they would give me free books?]

    Nik's Event Diary:
  • 28th September - 13th October - Trip to America without the use of a time machine.
  • 5th November - The Fray @ Hammersmith Apollo
  • 1st Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Sheffield Arena
  • 6th Dec - McFly Greatest Hits Tour @ Wembley Arena

  • Old Me:
  • Confessions of a Bingo Dirtbag
  • Nothing More Than Me

  • I know:
  • About A Burke
  • A Vacant Mind
  • Confessions of a Theatre Snob
  • Distant Aggravation
  • Life of Jembie
  • The wonderful world of babble
  • www.billygean.co.uk

  • I read:
  • Aled Haydn Jones
  • Dooce
  • Little Red Boat
  • JonnyB's private secret diary
  • The Chris Moyles Show blog


  • Random:
  • Chris Cox
  • Nottingham Panthers Ice Hockey Team
  • Liverpool FC

    Previous Posts
  • Wednesday, December 21, 2005

    Double, double toil and trouble

    She should have died hereafter:
    There would have been time for such a word.-
    To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
    Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
    To the last syllable of recorded time;
    And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
    The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow; a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
    And then is heard no more: it is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.
    Macbeth Act V. Scene v. 17-28

    I know the Director of the Shakespeare Institute knows this speech off by heart but it really is an amazing speech. I felt I needed to read it over and over again until I fully understood it, and that was before I'd even read the play and put it in context. Having read the play, which I love, the speech fits briliantly into how Macbeth is feeling at this point. In the introduction, it states that "every reader rejoices at his fall" but I don't. I sympathised with Titus when he has his sons heads returned to him and I felt sorry for Macbeth when he heard "a cry within". It's that point where you know what's going to happen and you hope that if you stop reading, it won't. But it always does because eventually you have to keep reading, if only to appreciate speeches like that one. Who knows what would have happened had Macbeth not met the witches but he did and obviously after he commits the first murder he is doomed. Yet it's that point where he's going to stand up and fight and it's pretty much just him and his wife against everyone, and then he finds out she's committed suicide. Of course there is the slight issue of the fact that since I saw the BBC adaptation, Macbeth will always be James McAvoy and Lady Macbeth will always be Keeley Hawes...


    link | posted by Nic at 6:17 PM |


    2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous commented at 11:18 PM~  

    You're right Nik, it is the most amazing speech (I know it by heart too)That short last line - amazing!
    And, everyone does not rejoice at his fall - back when I did it for 'O' Level I was arguing that Macbeth is more than a 'butcher'- his journey in the play is fascinating and whilst he does evil deeds, you have to look at the impact of the supernatural on the play, and on his own, fatal, ambition.

    I love it, I could go on, but I'll stop.

    Blogger Corinne commented at 12:08 PM~  

    That's one of my all time favourite bits of Will's writing. It gives me a shiver every time I read/hear it [and possibly the reason why I'd write a thesis on the use of 'nothing' in Will *rolls eyes*]

    Want to Post a Comment?

    powered by Blogger | designed by mela